If you’ve ever seen one of those ads that encourage you to ‘Build Your Own [insert awesome thing here]‘ and wonder what it’s all about, well, I’m here to take up the challenge! It helps that I’ve a huge love for Back to the Future and so building my own DeLorean was too good to miss. With Parts 1-71 already done, we move on with the next 4 parts in one handy summary post – smaller than my previous but because it’s looking great!
Although with this next quartet of sections you’re basically finishing off what we nearly did last time, it’s still another step forward and something I thought some of you would like a closer look at. Also, don’t forget, if you have any questions or queries (or suggestions!) please do let me know in the comments below. Part 72 and 73 is basically finishing off the door and all it’s components, obviously reversing the left door that you would have seen in the previous post. With the experience of that, it’s quite easy despite having an ageing screwdriver that wasn’t quite clicking into the screws. However, so far we’ve got this:
Onto Part 74, and this is the hinge panel and hydraulic arm to attach to the upper body, and again copy the left side in terms of getting it into place. I’m still a little apprehensive regarding the strength of these arms, in comparison to the weight of the door and – I don’t know if this is just me – but will the doors stay up by ‘themselves’? It doesn’t seem like they will at this point, unless I’ve missed something important.
As you can see below, it’s also your task to keep the wires out of the door and away from catching. This isn’t too bad to achieve and when you flip it over, you’ll get the sense of a more complete upper body. See the other picture below, as the doors to fit flush and close successfully so, with that in mind, I have to believe I’ve achieved what I hoped I would all along. There’s still side panels over the wheels to come, and that should help the overall look. Oh, also, use sellotape to keep the doors closed…. as mentioned last week!
Finally, for this time, it’s Part 75 and a very easy section indeed but an important one in the shape of it all. This is the central roof panel that’s useful because it keeps the tops of the doors in place. While I had to re-screw in the top of the left door, because as previously stated all the screws are tiny considering the weight, this roof panel is vital to everything. One of my two brackets didn’t quite fit, the screw hole hadn’t been put in the right place, but with a little force and eventually some superglue (to follow) it’ll be more sturdy.
So, for now my friends, we’re always getting more and more shape! Next time is FINALLY some front fenders, which will mean we’ve got a much more solid front end of the car – it’s coming together and the car is now, very heavy – impressively so!