Just seeing the title of the film ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’ makes me very excited and so the fact this is the 40th Anniversary, and there’s an awesome ‘Light and Sound’ Gift Set being released on 9 October in the UK, is frankly brilliant.
As well as the new 4K restoration, that’ll be available on 2-disc 4K Ultra HD, there’s also a Limited Edition 3-disc 4K Ultra HD “Light and Sound” Gift Set which features, wait for it, illuminated packaging that plays the iconic 5-tone motif. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment take a bow.
Steven Spielberg‘s work of absolute genius, that stars Richard Dreyfuss, Teri Garr, and Melinda Dillon, is also being celebrated in an exclusive one week engagement in cinemas across the country starting 15 September, with special nationwide screenings at Picturehouse and Cineworld cinemas on 18 September.
In addition to the legacy bonus materials, the Close Encounters of the Third Kind Blu-ray, which has all three restored versions of the film, including the 1977 theatrical version, the 1980 Special Edition and the 1997 Director’s Cut, also comes with new bonus content, including rare, never-before-seen home movies and gags from the set, and the all-new featurette “Three Kinds of Close Encounters.” This featurette includes a new interview with Spielberg on the legacy of the film, as well as new interviews with directors J.J. Abrams and Denis Villeneuve on the impact of Close Encounters. Pretty special.
Buy the Gift Set here: 40th Anniversary Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD Gift Set Blu-ray
Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD Gift Set & Blu-ray Editions only
- All three versions of the film: 1977 Theatrical Version, 1980 Special Edition & 1997 Director’s Cut (also included on 2-Disc 4K Ultra HD Edition).
- “Three Kinds of Close Encounters” Featurette
- New interview with Director Steven Spielberg on the legacy of the film, as well as new interviews with directors J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and Denis Villeneuve (Arrival) about the impact of Close Encounters.
- “Steven’s Home Movies & Outtakes”
- Rare never-before-seen home movies & gags from the set of Close Encounters.
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind Making-of Documentary
- “Steven Spielberg: 30 Years of Close Encounters” Featurette
- Deleted Scenes
- 1977 Featurette “Watch the Skies”
- Storyboard to Scene Comparisons
- Extensive Photo Gallery
- “A View From Above”
- Theatrical Trailers