It’s one of the finest horror/science-fiction films of all-time and quite astonishingly, it’s also the 40th Anniversary of Ridley Scott‘s Alien, starring Sigourney Weaver as the now iconic Ripley!
While there have been re-releases over the years, this celebration of 40 years of Alien comes with an all-new 4K Ultra HD master, and it’s available for pre-order now for release on April 22. There’s also a limited edition 4K UHD SteelBook of the 40th Anniversary Edition will also be available exclusively at Zavvi, the lucky devils, plus a Blu-ray and DVD 40th re-release. Now, just because, here’s some official synopsis and scroll down for details of the restoration and the special features.
The crew of the deep space tug Nostromo awaken from stasis during a voyage home to Earth when their ship’s computer detects what is believed to be an alien distress signal coming from the desolate nearby moon, LV-426. While investigating, one of the crew, Kane (John Hurt), is attacked by an alien creature that latches to his face and he is rushed back to the Nostromo to receive medical treatment. Ripley (Weaver), the ship’s warrant officer, advises against Kane’s return due to quarantine regulations – but her orders are ignored by Ash (Ian Holm), bringing the Nostromo under threat from a mysterious, extraterrestrial apex predator with violent and lethal survival instincts.
The film was restored in 4K in 2018 by 20th Century Fox at Company 3/Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, supervised by Ridley Scott and Pam Dery, with the 4K scans done at EFilm.
DVD Special Features (Pre-order here)
– Includes the 1979 Theatrical Version and the 2003 Director’s Cut!
– Audio commentary by Director Ridley Scott, cast and crew (theatrical version only)
4K Ultra HD (Pre-order here) and Blu-ray (Pre-order here) Special Features
– Includes the 1979 Theatrical Version and 2003 Director’s Cut!
– Audio Commentary by Director Ridley Scott, Cast and Crew
– Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott++
– Introduction by Ridley Scott+ (Blu-ray™ only)
– Final Theatrical Isolated Score by Jerry Goldsmith++
– Composer’s Original Isolated Score by Jerry Goldsmith++
– Deleted and Extended Scenes
(+Director’s Cut only ++Theatrical Version only)