Doctor Who fans will be delighted to hear that BBC Studios is releasing Season 14 as it’s next instalment in the ongoing Doctor Who: The Collection Blu-Ray range. Tom Baker’s third series as the Doctor will be available to buy Monday 20th April, and is available to pre-order now from all good retailers.
Doctor Who – The Collection: Season 14 contains 26 episodes from the 1976-77 season, including The Masque of Mandragora, The Hand of Fear, The Deadly Assassin and The Face of Evil, plus long-standing fan favourites The Robots of Death and The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
In 1976, Doctor Who took a dramatic new turn, electrifying audiences with changes in format, companion and the appearance of the TARDIS. Season 14 saw the departure of the Doctor’s long-term companion Sarah Jane Smith, and the introduction of Leela. The season contains some of Tom Baker’s most iconic serials, with intrepid investigations in Victorian London, deadly robots in a murderous whodunit, a return to the Doctor’s homeworld, and one of the saddest goodbyes in Doctor Who history.
Producer Phillip Hinchliffe led Doctor Who through this creative high, with Tom Baker joined onscreen by Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, Louise Jameson as the Doctor’s captivating new companion Leela and an array of guests stars including Tim Pigott-Smith, Stephen Thorne, Peter Pratt, Pamela Salem, David Collings, Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter.
Check out the brilliant announcement trailer below:
With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features, including:
- Immersive 5.1 surround sound for The Deadly Assassin.
- Brand new audio commentaries featuring Tom Baker and moderator Matthew Sweet on selected episodes of The Face of Evil and The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Behind the Sofa – New episodes with Tom Baker, Louise Jameson and Producer Philip Hinchcliffe, plus companions Sophie Aldred and Peter Purves.
- Our Sarah Jane – Elisabeth Sladen Tribute – A feature-length look at the life and career of Sarah Jane Smith actress Elisabeth Sladen.
- Whose Doctor Who Revisited – Toby Hadoke meets the producers and grown-up stars of the very first Who Documentary.
- In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to Producer Philip Hinchcliffe.
- Blu-Ray trailer – Louise Jameson has trouble with her new home assistant.
- Brand new interviews
- Rare archive material
- Convention footage
- HD photo galleries
- Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files and other gems from our PDF archive.
The eight-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.
A popular season from Doctor Who‘s golden age, Season 14 is a definite must-have on Blu-Ray. This limited edition boxset will surely sell out, so be sure to place your pre-orders fast!