Continuing the now highly regarding tradition, this morning at BAFTA’s HQ at 195 Piccadilly in London, the five nominees for this year’s prestigious EE Rising Star Award, now in its 17th year, were announced as part of a virtual livestreamed event!
Hosted by BAFTA Chair Krishnendu Majumdar and film broadcaster Edith Bowman, the 2022 nominee shortlist was revealed by 2021 EE Rising Star Award winner, Bukky Bakray. The five talented actors have each demonstrated their remarkable work in film over the past year, and have captured the imagination of both the public and film industry!
The EE Rising Star Award nominees for 2022 are:
· ARIANA DEBOSE, whose star performance in Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story has received widespread acclaim.
· HARRIS DICKINSON can currently be seen in cinemas starring in Matthew Vaughn’s The King’s Man opposite Ralph Fiennes and will next be seen in The Souvenir Part II alongside Honor Winton Byrne and Tilda Swinton in early February.
· LASHANA LYNCH, who made history as the first woman and the first woman of colour to carry on the legacy of 007 in her standout role as “Nomi” in No Time To Die, alongside Daniel Craig and Rami Malek.
· MILLICENT SIMMONDS, recently singled out for her performance in post-apocalyptic horror A Quiet Place Part II, where she reprised her role as ‘Regan Abbott’, starring alongside Emily Blunt and Cillian Murphy.
· KODI SMIT-MCPHEE was praised by critics for his standout role in Jane Campion’s The Power of The Dog. His performance earned him a Golden Globe Award, along with a nomination from the Screen Actors Guild, for ‘Best Supporting Actor’.
Congrats to all! My vote is going to Millicent Simmonds, who excelled in A Quiet Place Part II, and her performance there has stood out but who will you vote for?