To celebrate the release of the highly anticipated Tom Clancy’s The Division 2, out next week on Friday 15th March, we’re taking a look at the long and successful history of Tom Clancy as an entertainment powerhouse! He has defined the military fiction genre, starting some 35 years ago with the release of his first book The Hunt for Red October, and since then the franchise has exploded into 100 novels and graphic novels as well as film, TV, and video game franchises.
We’ve picked out just a few facts to get you excited for the new game, as we’ve witnessed his career evolve from a book series, into a global household name and this new game from Ubisoft, Tom Clancy’s The Division 2, looks to continue that unique trend.
- Tom Clancy is a seventeen-time best-selling author, turned entrepreneur and has defined military fiction starting from novels, to film and video games.
- His first novel Hunt for Red October was published in 1984 and to date has sold over 4.3m copies and grossed an estimated $193.5 million.
- His 4th novel, Clear and Present Danger, sold 1.6 million copies in its first print making Clancy the best-selling author of the 80s.
- He is one of only 3 authors in the 90’s, including J.K. Rowling, to sell over 2 million copies on the first print.
Achievements at a glance:
- To date there have been 100 novels, with over 100 million copies sold.
- 11 non-fiction books.
- 44 video games across 6 franchises with 44 million players.
- 1 TV series produced by Amazon Studios.
- 5 hit films made in the Tom Clancy universe.
- Ubisoft purchased Tom Clancy’s name in 2008 giving them the rights to use his name in video games and related products.
- Ubisoft broke the record for highest grossing video game in first week with The Division making $330 million.
Pre-order Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 now on PS4, XBox One, PC right here: https://amzn.to/2NTMg8p
You can also play the game 3 days early, in their open beta, by ordering the PS4 ‘Dark Zone’ edition: https://amzn.to/2NPynIq