The Faceless Ones is the mostly missing eighth serial from the fourth season of Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in six weekly parts from April to May 1967. Starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, the story concerns a sinister race of identity-stealing aliens known as the Chameleons, operating from within Gatwick Airport. Notable guest stars include Wanda Ventham (UFO, Sherlock) and Pauline Collins (Upstairs, Downstairs, Shirley Valentine), whilst Frazer Hines, Anneke Wills and Michael Craze co-star as the Doctor’s companions.
Only two of the six episodes are held in the BBC film archives, with snippets of footage and still images existing from the other four. Fortunately, off-air recordings of the soundtrack still exist, making the animation of a complete serial possible once again.
The six new animated episodes are produced in full colour and high definition. The release also includes the following exclusive special features:
- Black & White Version of the animated episodes.
- The Original Episodes 1 & 3 (with remastered audio by Mark Ayres).
- Photographic Telesnap reconstruction of the story.
- Audio commentaries for episodes 1 & 3, plus the animated episodes 4, 5 and 6.
- Face to Face with the Faceless Ones (Making of).
- Camera script PDF’s.
- Surviving film fragments from the story.
- Easter Eggs x5.
- Coming Soon trailer for Fury from the Deep.
Doctor Who: The Faceless Ones will be released on DVD, Blu-Ray and Steelbook on 16th March 2020. RRP: £20.42 (DVD), £25.52 (Blu-Ray) and £40.84 (Steelbook).