Doctor Who: The Power Of The Daleks – Special Edition is an updated animation of Patrick Troughton’s first story as the Second Doctor, available on DVD and Blu-ray from 6th July 2020.
While no complete film recordings of The Power of the Daleks are known to have survived the purge of the BBC’s archive in 1975, fresh animation in high definition breathes new life into this much-loved story.
The six animated episodes replace the 2016 physical and digital release, with new and improved animation and authentic black and white visuals. The latest release also showcases a vast array of exciting new special features, in addition to all of the VAM on the 2016 release.
New additional material includes:
- Two new documentaries about The Power of the Daleks.
- 1993 BBC audio version of The Power of the Daleks, narrated by Tom Baker.
- Raw incidental music.
- Photogrammetry Featurette.
- Whicker’s World – I Don’t Like My Monsters to Have Oedipus Complexes (a complete episode of the BBC Programme featuring the creator of the Daleks Terry Nation).
- Daleks – The Early Years: A 1992 documentary presented by Peter Davison.
- Robin Hood (1953) Episode: Patrick Troughton’s earliest surviving TV appearance.
- BBC archive footage from BBC regional news, BBC Breakfast, Blue Peter and Newsnight.
- Previously unreleased animation trailers and animatics.
- Easter Eggs.
Plus extra features from the 2016 release:
- Audio commentaries with Anneke Wills and surviving members of the cast & crew for each episode.
- Animation test footage.
- Photo Gallery, including previously unreleased and rediscovered full colour on-set photos from 1966.
- Servants & Masters – The Making of The Power of the Daleks featurette.
- The Highlanders (the 1966-67 story).